Writing Contest for Beginning Writers
Creative Writing Institute's Fourth Annual Beginner's Short Story Contest
A contest that is truly for beginner's only. If you have sold a short story or a book - congratulations - but you do NOT qualify for this contest. If, on the other hand, you have self-published, you may enter. This is an honor system.
Entries must be received by midnight, USA Eastern Standard Time, August 31, 2012.
1. Any genre: Horror, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Romance, Children, etc., No erotica, profanity, swearing, or gore. This is a "G" rated contest. All entries that do not follow this guideline will be disqualified. Please check with the head judge if you have queries.
2. Entries must be 1,000 to 1,750 words. (This is a strict word count. Don't count the title or personal information.)
3. Entry fee is $6 to help cover expenses. CWI is a nonprofit charity that sponsors cancer patients in writing courses, so your fee will go to a worthy cause. This is a small contest and you will be competing against other beginners, so your chances are good. Pay by credit card or PayPal here when you submit your entry.
4. No more than two entries per person, please - $6 per entry
5. All rights remain the property of the author.
6. Submit original work. By entering, you are stating that the work is not under someone else's copyright, and is entirely your own.
7. Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, style, and technique.
8. Be sure that your entry has been proofread and edited. Points will be deducted for poorly structured sentences, spelling mistakes, and gramatical errors. Your entry should reflect your committment to writing.
9. Submit entry through www.submittable.com as plain text (as you go through the submission process, there will be a space for you to cut and paste your document.) Do NOT send as .pdf, attachments, or emailed entries as these will NOT be accepted.
10. Read tips and tricks on writing for a contest at http://www.DeborahOwen.wordpress.com.
11. Sorry. No refunds.
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES or your entry will be disqualified. Winners will be notified by email on or before November 30, 2012.
* First place - $100 OR a free, tutored writing course at Creative Writing Institute, valued at $200. In addition, the winner will receive Word Magic by Cindy Rogers and an autographed copy of Word Trippers by Barbara McNichol. Winning entry will be published on our website and blog, along with a bio and picture, if provided.
* Second place: $50 and a copy of Word Magic by Cindy Rogers. Winner's name will be published on our website and blog and we will provide a link to your story.
* Third place: One free tutoring session with CEO and Founder, Deborah Owen, and an autographed copy of Word Trippers by Barbara McNichol. Winner's name will be published on our website and blog and we will provide a link to your story.
Honorable mentions: Names will be published on our website and blog and we will provide a link to your story.
This contest is especially for beginners, so your chances are great! Invest in yourself and enter today. One of the best ways to proofread is to read your entry aloud. Errors will jump out at you. It would be a shame to miss a placing because you didn't edit well enough.
The competition will be judged by six judges, experienced in short story writing and editing. Direct your questions to Jo Popek, head judge, at
Competition Coordinator is Annie Evett .
Sign up for The Writer's Choice Newsletter at http://cwinst.com/newslettersignup.php. Get the latest, hottest tips on writing!
Deborah Owen, CEO, Creative Writing Institute